SOHEVA is composed of Electric & Hybrid vehicle advocates whose goal is to educate the public about the personal and environmental benefits of driving low & no emission vehicles. Right place for local info on buying, leasing or driving an EV
I can’t park close to the socket. Can I use an extension cord?
Not recommended, but you can – if you keep a few things in mind.
* Keep the cord as short as possible, only as long as you need.
* Use a heavy duty appliance extension cord. These are thicker and heat up less. They cost a little more ($20 for that one).
* As you are charging, check on the temperature of the extension cord. If it is getting warm, you should stop. Often it is best to charge on a night when it is cooler.
* Make sure you plug into a grounded outlet that has a reset button.
* Charging rate is slow: You get about 4 miles of charge per hour.
How can I maintain the health of my EV battery?
* It’s best to stay between 20% and 80% charge.
* Minimize the use of level 3 fast chargers.
* Park your car in the shade in the summer.
* For more details, check out this short article: 8 lessons about EV battery health from 6,300 electric cars
Share your joy! What vehicle do you own? Send us a picture!